Bimonthly Membership Meeting
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 7:30 am - 9:15 am
Highland Park Country Club
1201 Park Avenue, Highland Park, IL, 60035 | map
- Speakers: Jared R. Cloud, McDermott Will & Emery. LLP
- Topic: Better Than Going to Court? Resolving Trust Disputes with Nonjudicial Settlement Agreements
- Doors open at 7:30 A.M. for a buffet breakfast and networking.
- Presentation Begins at 8:00 A.M., and adjournment will be by 9:15 A.M.
- To receive MCLE credit, please supply your ARDC number
- For CFP credit please provide your CFP ID
Overview of Presentation:
Nonjudicial settlement agreements and virtual representation have become popular ways to accomplish client objectives, including not only the resolution of litigation, but also the interpretation or modification of undesirable provisions of trust agreements, the approval of trustee actions or accountings, and more. This program will cover the variety of uses of these agreements, “best practices” for agreement drafting, and pitfalls to avoid.
JARED R. CLOUD is a partner with McDermott Will & Emery in Chicago, where he concentrates his practice in estate, trust, and family business disputes. Jared is a member of the firm’s Trust and Estate Controversy practice group and represents fiduciaries, beneficiaries, and other family business stakeholders in all areas of dispute resolution, including mediation, arbitration, and litigation through trial. He is a member of the American, Illinois State, and Chicago Bar Associations, and a past chair of the CBA Trust Law Committee. He is the author of Chapter 4, “Going to Court – Or Not,” of POSTMORTEM ESTATE PLANNING (IICLE 2014). Jared received his A.B. from the University of Chicago in 1991, and his J.D., with honors, from the University of Chicago Law School in 1995.