Due to the public health threat posed by COVID-19 and continued uncertainties about the wisdom of gathering in large groups until more is known about the virus and its spread, the Greater North Shore Estate & Financial Planning Council has taken proactive steps to reschedule next week’s meeting (3/18/20) to July 15. We have confirmed the availability of the venue and are in the process of confirming the availability of the speakers for that date.
For those members who registered and paid to attend the March event, we will apply your payment toward the July meeting. For those of you who have the Breakfast Season Pass, you will be able to use the pass to attend the July meeting. If you would prefer to have your payment refunded, please contact Susaan Jamshidi at email@example.com.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, however our main concern is the health and welfare of our members and their families.
Bimonthly Membership Meeting
Rescheduled for Wednesday July 15, 2020, 7:30 am - 9:15 am
Maggiano's Little Italy
4999 Old Orchard Shopping Center
Skokie, IL 60077
- Speakers: Tadd Lindsay and Todd Povlich of MPI
- Topic: Discounts Utilized In Wealth Transfer Planning
- Doors open at 7:30 A.M. for a buffet breakfast and networking.
- Presentation Begins at 8:00 A.M., and adjournment will be by 9:15 A.M.
- To receive MCLE credit, please supply your ARDC number
- For CFP credit please provide your CFP ID
- Meeting Rates:
- Member Pre-registration: $30 ($36 at the door)
- Guest: $30 ($36 at door). Guests must be a potentials member and may attend at this rate one time. The referring member will receive a $10 Amazon gift card.
- Non-members: $50
This presentation will give you a better understanding of the types of discounts employed and the sources of data utilized to not only calculate, but validate the discounts which are employed by valuation professionals in determining the value of interests in gift and estate planning strategies.
- MPI colleagues Tadd Lindsay and Todd Povlich will provide an overview of when and where discounts are applicable in the transfer and/or sale of various interests in the context of gift and estate planning for clients.
- They will review the sources of relevant market data used in determining discounts.
- They will also review some other types of discounts used in the valuation of private fund interests, early stage company interests, and pre-liquidity event situations as well as finally reviewing what they refer to as “Powell Case Inspired Planning – Traps to Avoid”.
Tadd Lindsay is a Senior Vice President at MPI and is responsible for client relationships and business development throughout the Midwest. Based in the firm’s Chicago office, Tadd brings over 30 years of banking and financial services experience in working with clients focusing on estate and tax planning. He has substantial experience in working with clients in close coordination with their other professional advisors on developing and executing wealth transfer strategies. Tadd has broad experience in coordinating the valuations of a variety of business types including manufacturing, service, and asset holding entities.
Prior to joining MPI in 2010, Tadd held executive positions with J.P. Morgan – Private Wealth Group, Merrill Lynch – Global Wealth Management and Old Kent Bank & Trust – Investment & Trust Management Division.
Todd Povlich is a Partner at MPI and is based in the firm’s New York City office. Since joining MPI, Todd has determined the value of closely held securities of companies and partnerships in many industries for a variety of purposes, including estate and gift tax, income tax, matrimonial proceedings, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, corporate planning and restructuring, financial reporting, sale, merger, stock purchase plans and buy-sell agreements. Todd has prepared valuations of closely held operating companies, asset holding entities, as well as other securities such as undivided interests in real estate, closely held promissory notes and preferred stock. While his experience spans a variety of industries, Todd specializes in the valuation of alternative investment management companies and carried interest. The valuation analyses and reports prepared by Todd have been used for presentations to management, directors and stockholders of client companies, as well as to attorneys, accountants and other fiduciaries.